at the board of governors meeting in Pebble Beac

in Regeln und Informationen 16.03.2018 02:58
von riluowanying123 • Anwärter | 76 Beiträge

ST. LOUIS -- The New York Mets signed Rick Ankiel and started him in centre field on Monday night against the St. Louis Cardinals, the team that converted him from wild lefty to outfielder. The 33-year-old thought it a bit comforting that he returned to the majors in St. Louis, where he arrived as a hard-throwing lefty starter in 1999 but couldnt control his pitches. Hes been an outfielder since 2005 and hit a career-best 25 homers with 71 RBIs with St. Louis in 2008. "Obviously, Ive played here in Busch Stadium quite a bit, and its just kind of ironic the first game back is here in St. Louis," Ankiel said. "But itll be fun and Im excited to get out there." Also, the Mets said three days rest was prescribed for closer Frank Francisco, who had been close to returning from rehabilitation before getting scratched from a bullpen session Saturday. Francisco was diagnosed with a mild strain of the flexor pronator in his surgically-repaired right elbow. "I guess you could say its a mild setback," assistant general manager John Ricco said. Ankiel said hed been in contact with the Mets the last two days while at home in Fort Pierce, Fla., and admitted he hadnt been sure hed get another shot. He hit .194 with five homers and 11 RBIs for Houston, which had signed him to a $750,000, one-year deal. He struck out 35 times in 65 at-bats with "You dont know, you really dont," Ankiel said. "I figured I would, and I was hoping I would and it did." Ankiel was designated for assignment by the Houston Astros last week and cleared waivers on Sunday. "I thought it was quick but it is what it is," Ankiel said. "I wasnt happy about the inconsistency, but my power was there. But it was early and I hope I get that turned around." The Mets made the somewhat surprising move given theyd struck out 28 times the previous two games and manager Terry Collins had expressed concern about the lack of contact. They lost the last three games of a 4-6 homestand in which they went 7 for 40 with runners in scoring position. Ankiel was the choice as an above-average defensive outfielder with a veteran presence when "youre looking at whats available," Ricco said. "Obviously, youd like to hit on everything," Ricco said. "I think hes going to work with our guys and we have a lot of confidence ... he can cut strikeouts and still provide power." Collins thought getting a fresh start might click for Ankiel, as it has catcher John Buck. He planned on platooning the left-hand hitting Ankiel with Juan Legares, and planned on talking to Ankiel about his approach at the plate and point out the Mets already have plenty of power. "Maybe a change of scenery right now is good for him and will get him going," Collins said. "Certainly his bat can be dangerous at times, so were anxious to get him in the lineup. Were hoping he helps us out." Outfielder Andrew Brown was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas and right-hander Jenrry Mejia was transferred to the 60-day disabled list from the 15-day DL to make room on the 40-man roster. Ankiel arrived at Busch Stadium about 3 1-2 hours before gametime and joked about meeting reporters before speaking with Collins. "Certainly, coming here we dont have to worry about him not knowing the field, thats for sure, "Collins said. "Obviously, hes a great defender, we all know that, and if he doesnt have the strongest arm in the league hes got one of the top arms in all of baseball." Ankiel was the Cardinals centre fielder in May 2009 when he slammed into a fence at full speed on a running catch and ended up with whiplash and a shoulder injury. Manager Tony La Russa kept Ankiels hat, bent in half, on a shelf in his office. Ankiel is among four players in major league history to make at least 40 starts as a pitcher and hit 40 homers, with Babe Ruth the standout of that group. Hes also a .315 hitter against the Mets, much better than his career average of .243. "Anytime you play against a guy you cant get out, you want him on your team," Collins said. "We cant get him out, never could." Joey Votto Jersey . "I wrote 36 on my sheet at the beginning of the game," the Cincinnati coach said, referring the yard line the ball would need to be snapped from. Cheap Reds Jerseys . Now, with Game 6 set for Fenway Park and an 8:07 p.m. ET first pitch, the Detroit Tigers face the unenviable task of having to beat the Boston Red Sox twice, on the road, to advance to the World Series. http://www.cheapredsjerseys.com/?tag=cheap-reggie-sanders-jersey . How great will be revealed in the next couple of days at the board of governors meeting in Pebble Beach, Calif. Wholesale Reds Jerseys . Hargreaves began his career in 2008 with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and has played with the Edmonton Eskimos and last season with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Billy Hamilton Jersey . - The Washington Redskins have cut defensive lineman Adam Carriker and punter Sav Rocca. Christian McCaffreys 6,191 all-purpose yards in the last 2 seasons are nearly 2,000 more than any other player. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: RabbitEdu
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 12969 Themen und 14828 Beiträge.
Besucherrekord: 254 Benutzer (18.11.2019 16:14).