COPENHAGEN - It may very well be the most important position on the ice, but it is the one position where there is no competitio

in Charaktere 30.08.2019 03:08
von jokergreen0220 • Halb Gott | 2.085 Beiträge

COPENHAGEN - It may very well be the most important position on the ice, but it is the one position where there is no competition to make the Canadian world junior team. Sheldon Rankins Womens Jersey . Only two goalies were invited to the countrys selection camp, meaning Saginaws Jake Paterson and Halifaxs Zach Fucale are guaranteed spots on the final 22-man roster. "In previous years they would be competing and right now wed have two other goalies and it would make their job a lot harder," explained Hockey Canadas goalie consultant Fred Brathwaite. "Now, theyre coming in here and were trying to make their game better day in, day out and get them ready for the tournament." The decision to take some of the pressure off of the netminders took Paterson by surprise. "I had no idea that it was just going to be the two goalies at camp," the Detroit Red Wings prospect admitted. "I thought it would be the usual four. Obviously, to get that news was a relief." Paterson took full advantage of the goalie competition at the 2012 selection camp. He entered the event as an under-dog to crack the roster, but stopped all 33 shots faced over three games to steal a job from Laurent Brossoit. Patersons edge in the competition to be starter this time around is his age and experience as Canadas third goalie at last years competition in Ufa, Russia, where Malcolm Subban started all but one game with Jordan Binnington getting the call for the bronze-medal game. The 19-year-old Paterson, a year older than Fucale, learned a lot despite not seeing a second of action. "Probably the biggest thing was how hard the tournament is to win with the one-game elimination in the medal round and, as well, how important it is to come together as a team. That stood out as well," he said. And while Hockey Canada has often times leaned toward older players when it comes to doling out responsibility at this event (Sutter, for example, went with two 19-year-olds in goal at the 2006 tournament cutting 18-year-old Carey Price at the selection camp), it is actually Fucale who owns the better big-game track record, including a gold medal at the 2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and a Memorial Cup title last May. WATCH: Jamie McLennan breaks down Fucales game and explain why he should be Canadas starter "I think the Memorial Cup is very similar [to the world junior championship] with just five or six games so its very similar: you got to be at your best every night and theres no second chances, no turning back, you got to make sure youre well prepared and ready to play," said Fucale, who was the top goalie selected in Junes NHL draft getting scooped up by the Montreal Canadiens early in the second round. "You just want to be as prepared as you can come into the games. I think thats key. When theres a pressure situation, a lot at stake, you have to be well-prepared and whenever you are well-prepared you cant be scared of anything, because you did everything to be ready for that game." Fucale has an edge in the early-season numbers this season. Paterson has posted a 3.64 GAA and .900 save-percentage in 22 games in the OHL, while Fucale has a 2.51 GAA and .902 save-percentage in 28 games in the QMJHL. Paterson and Fucale are expected to split the starts in the first two pre-tournament games, on Friday against the Finns and Sunday against the Swedes. Who starts the final tune-up on Monday against the Swiss may provide a good indication of who will also get the honour of starting on Boxing Day when Canada opens the tournament against Germany. Sutter has made it clear he wants the battle to be the No. 1 goalie to wrap-up sooner rather than later. "I think you got to have somewhat of a clear mind about who your guy is going to be and start with it that way and if you have to change you can always change," said Sutter. "I dont think you can rotate in the tournament. I think you got to get someone really solid and hot going into it and thats our goal. But, at the same time, you got four round-robin games and the other guy has to play in at least one of them." Sutter leaned heavily on his starter in his two previous tenures behind Canadas world junior bench. In 2006, Justin Pogge started all six games en route to being named tournament MVP. Devan Dubnyk was the backup. In 2005, Jeff Glass got five starts, while Rejean Beauchemin got one. Sutter hinted that this time around the backup will probably get at least one game. Whoever plays will be facing sky-high pressure. When the world juniors are held overseas, Canada has never won gold without having the tournaments best goalie. Steve Mason was the last to do it backstopping Canada to gold in 2008 in the Czech Republic. Paterson and Fucale are well aware of all the hand-wringing about Canadas so-called crisis in the crease and have tuned it out. "Obviously, Ive heard a lot about that the last couple of years, but I think its out of our control," Paterson said. "Obviously, the results havent been there the last couple of years, but as far as me and Zachs concerned were just looking to have a good couple of practices here." "We heard a little bit of talk about it," said Fucale, "but, you know, the last four, five years, Im pretty sure theyve been doing their best to give the team a chance to win and all I want to do, me and Jake, we want to be prepared and coming into the first game want to be in top shape. "You got to make sure everyones ready to play. Me, the goalie, you have to make a difference. Im just looking forward to that first game." Marshon Lattimore Womens Jersey . 22 because of a bruised foot and have added forward Sean Collins to the roster on emergency recall from Springfield of the AHL. Erik McCoy Saints Jersey . Though the 26-year-old said he was able to participate, coach Dwane Casey kept Johnson out as a precaution. http://www.authenticsaintssportsonline.com/saints-wil-lutz-gold-jersey/ . The biggest collapse in franchise history was a long time ago, and he was too busy trying to make sure it didnt happen again. CEDAR PARK, Texas -- After allowing five goals in Game 1 of the American Hockey League final, Michael Hutchinson went back to the hotel Monday night and did his homework to prepare for Game 2 against the Texas Stars on Tuesday. That preparation was even more crucial as the Stars fired 50 shots against the goaltender, but Hutchinson stopped 49 of them in a 2-1 victory to even up the Calder Cup final at a game apiece as it heads back to St. Johns for Games 3 through 5. "We went over all their scoring chances and all my touches, and kind of got to see myself from a different angle," said Hutchinson. "I think that really helped me coming into the game tonight, knowing what to expect and I was more prepared." It was one of the best individual performances IceCaps coach Keith McCambridge had seen in more than two decades as a player and coach. "Without a doubt its up there in the top three with a lot of good goaltenders over the years," said McCambridge. "Hes really in a zone right now. Hes really focused on making sure we got that split on the road." Hutchinson made his biggest stops a minute apart in the third period while clinging to a 2-1 lead. With 13:05 remaining Kevin Henderson had a point-blank chance in the slot on a rebound, but Hutchinson sprawled to his right for what McCambridge called his best save of the night. "That was the obviously the key moment in the game for us," said McCambridge. A minute later Hutchinson made another spectacular stop, thiis time diving back to the left post with the blocker as Brendan Ranford attempted a wrap-around into an gaping net. Marshon Lattimore Youth Jersey. "I kind of just got into scramble mode," said Hutchinson. "I was fortunate I could reach far enough. For all those times you end up reaching just a little too short, I was fortunate I got my glove out there and able to get a piece of it." Hutchinsons lone mistake came 29 seconds into the second period when Ranford had tied the game at 1-1 for Texas. But 44 seconds later the IceCaps fourth line reinstated the lead. Blair Riley was left wide open in front of the net and easily beat Cristopher Nilstorp with a one-timed shot off a pass from Kyle MacKinnon. Earlier St. Johns scored on its first scoring chance 4:05 into the game. Eric ODell took a wrist shot that trickled between Nilstorps legs. Kael Mouillierat easily tapped the puck home, making sure it crossed the line to give St. Johns a 1-0 lead. Even with all the shots he faced, Hutchinson didnt have to make any stops on the power play. For the first time in 94 combined regular season and playoff games, the IceCaps didnt face an opposition penalty kill. St. Johns did commit a penalty-- a roughing minor against Jordan Hill-- but it was cancelled out by a matching minor against Stars defenceman Jamie Oleksiak. Nilstorp stopped 33 of 35 shots for Texas, and made several key stops in the second and third period to keep his team in the game. Game 3 is Wednesday at the Mile One Centre in St. Johns. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: RabbitEdu
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 12969 Themen und 14828 Beiträge.
Besucherrekord: 254 Benutzer (18.11.2019 16:14).