LONDON - Arsenal threw away a 3-0 lead and an early place in the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday after Anderlecht lau

in Charaktere 30.08.2019 03:08
von jokergreen0220 • Halb Gott | 2.085 Beiträge

LONDON - Arsenal threw away a 3-0 lead and an early place in the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday after Anderlecht launched a stunning comeback to draw 3-3 with a last-minute equalizer. Charles Haley Cowboys Jersey .With only half an hour left, goals by captain Mikel Arteta from the penalty spot, Alexis Sanchez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had put Arsenal in complete control of the Group D match.With Borussia Dortmund beating Galatasaray, Arsene Wengers side appeared certain to join the Bundesliga club in the knockout stages with two games to spare.Instead, two goals from Anthony Vanden Borre, the second from the penalty spot in the 73rd minute, hauled Anderlecht right back into the match as Arsenals defence collapsed.Aleksandar Mitrovic then completed the comeback by heading in the equalizer in the 90th minute, before celebrating in front of the euphoric visiting fans.It was a stark reversal from the game in Anderlecht last month, when Arsenal scored two late goals to snatch a 2-1 win.Wenger blamed bad luck, tiredness and, most of all, bad defending for the collapse.You have to give them (Anderlecht) credit, they did fight until the end and we had a poor defensive performance from the first minute to the last today, Wenger said. We never felt comfortable and somewhere we got punished. A bit because of bad luck, the first (Anderlecht) goal was offside clearly, but defensively our performance was not good enough.Arteta, who was substituted due to a hamstring injury, was equally critical of the performance.We cant afford to make these mistakes, it is just not good enough, Arteta said. It was a massive night for us to ensure our qualification to the last 16. We threw everything away tonight and did not perform to the expected level of this football club. Luckily we have two more opportunities to amend this.Dortmunds 4-1 win over Galatsaray sealed its place in the knockout stages with second-place Arsenal on seven points, Anderlecht with two and the Turkish side on one.Anderlecht coach Besnik Hasi felt the turning point came with his sides first goal.We made a few changes and at 3-1 we gained in confidence, he said. I also have to thank our fans tonight — even at 3-0 down they gave us confidence, and then we started to play. At 3-2, Arsenal started to have a doubt. So we really pushed forward and we scored the goal.This game is going to stay in my memory for sure. ... Im very, very proud of my team. They were fantastic today.Two weeks after Arsenal was fortunate to snatch a late victory in Belgium, Tuesdays performance at Emirates Stadium looked highly convincing — at least for the first hour.The first goal came after Anderlecht centre half Chancel Mbemba felled Danny Welbeck with a clumsy challenge in the area in the 25th minute.Arteta coolly chipped his spot-kick down the middle as keeper Silvio Proto dived helplessly to his right, and the home side had taken a step toward the last 16.Another step followed just four minutes later, after Sanchez took a free kick that struck the Anderlecht wall. The ball looped high in the air and back to the Chile striker, who smashed home a volley that Proto got a glove to but couldnt keep out. It was Sanchezs fifth goal in his last three matches.Arsenal kept up the pressure after the re-start and was rewarded when Sanchez won back possession outside the Anderlecht area, releasing Oxlade-Chamberlain for a penetrating run and a curling shot past Proto into the far corner.However, defensive frailties have marked Wengers side this season and they again proved costly.Substitute Davy Roef broke down the right flank in the 61st minute and sent in a low cross that Vanden Borre turned in from point-blank range — with Arsenal appeals for offside waved away by the referee.Vanden Borre then narrowed the deficit even further from the penalty spot, giving Szczesny no chance after Nacho Monreal had pulled down Mitrovic in the area.At this stage, the home side was barely clinging on to a victory and a place in the knockout stages. That already loose grip was broken completely when Mitrovic brilliantly headed home Andy Najars cross into the corner of the Arsenal net in the last minute.Maybe we underestimated subconsciously Anderlecht and got punished, Wenger summed up. Thats the Champions League. You need to be at the mental level ... and certainly we were not. Michael Irvin Cowboys Jersey . - The Clippers have signed guard Dahntay Jones to a second 10-day contract. Robert Newhouse Jersey .J. -- Kevin Gilbride retired Thursday as offensive co-ordinator for the New York Giants. http://www.cowboysrookieproshop.com/Cowboys-Troy-Aikman-Jersey/ . The Marlies surrendered two power-play goals and failed to score on six man-advantage opportunities en route to a 4-1 defeat in American Hockey League action on Saturday.BRISTOL, Tenn. -- Denny Hamlin ended two weeks of Team Penske dominance by winning the pole at Bristol Motor Speedway. Hamlin set a track record Friday with a lap at 129.991 mph to earn the top starting spot. It broke the mark of 129.535 set by Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch a year ago, and ensured that neither Brad Keselowski or Joey Logano won the pole for the first time since NASCARs new knockout qualifying debuted three weeks ago. Hamlin ran only one lap in the first segment and it was good enough to lock him into the top 12 to advance into the second segment. He then ran one lap, took the pole for Sundays race, and got out of his car to see if anyone could beat him. "As a short track guy, I can feel when, OK, this is all Ive got. Or, This is a really good lap," Hamlin said. He aborted an attempt at a second lap in the first segment because, "If that wasnt a top-12 lap, we were in big trouble. So I knew that was going to be good. Then ultimately strategy comes into play, wanting to conserve your car and keeping everything as cool as you can for the second segment "I was going to run two laps in the second segment, but I bobbled it pretty bad into Turn 3 and didnt finish the lap. But I knew the first one was good." So good that he wasnt very worried when Keselowski and Logano both pulled back onto the track as the clock ticked down to attempt to bump Hamlin from the pole. The teammates swept the front row at Phoenix and Las Vegas, where the new format was first used this season, and they made one last run at Hamlin. Keselowski came up just short, settling for second at 129.965. Logano was fourth, behind Hamlins teammate Matt Kenseth. "I feel like wee did what we were supposed to do to be able to go out there and give it a shot for the pole," said Logano, the pole-winner last week at Las Vegas. Bob Lilly Cowboys Jersey. "Dennys strategy was pretty good. Just not good enough for us." The Penske drivers were only able to make those final attempts because of a new rule this week by NASCAR that permitted the use of cooling units on pit road for teams to cool their engines following their runs. NASCAR decided Tuesday to allow the devices following a conference call with crew chiefs because of safety concerns raised by drivers. Because the engines had been getting so hot following the qualifying runs and the cooling units were not allowed, drivers were running laps on the bottom of the track at slow speeds to cool down. It was going on at the same time as other drivers were sailing by at full speed, and many drivers complained they had near collisions. "I think that rule change has made qualifying even better," Keselowski said. "Its removed danger and replaced with opportunity. I think that was for the betterment of the sport and certainly if for no other reason than safety, it was definitely worth it. But I also feel like being able to go out there and make multiple runs is now a lot more plausible." The early season struggles continued for Stewart-Haas Racing and even hit Kevin Harvick, who had been the lone bright spot for the organization through the first three races. Kurt Busch was the highest SHR qualifier at 13th, but Harvick was 27th and Danica Patrick was the last driver to qualify on speed at 36th. Team co-owner Tony Stewart had to use a provisional to make it in the field and will start 37th. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: RabbitEdu
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 12969 Themen und 14828 Beiträge.
Besucherrekord: 254 Benutzer (18.11.2019 16:14).