The 31-year-old Toronto FC forward did not make Englands

in FanArts 01.08.2019 03:31
von Dogcat250 • Halb Gott | 1.156 Beiträge

TORONTO -- A "devastated" Jermain Defoe will be watching the World Cup from afar, barring an injury call-up from England. The 31-year-old Toronto FC forward did not make Englands main 23-man squad which features Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck and Rickie Lambert at forward. Instead the Major League Soccer star was one of two strikers named to Englands seven-man standby list. Defoe said he felt sharp, was scoring goals and thought he had done enough to make the team. He added he had also been looking forward to representing his country in Brazil. "You cant expect anything but I did feel like I had a good chance of going because Ive been in most of the squads if not all the squads," he told BBC Radio. "So to miss out, I dont know, I just feel devastated to be honest," he added. Asked by the BBC if coming to Toronto was a mistake, Defoe said "Not at all." On a personal level, Defoe said it was difficult. But he wished the England team the best of luck. Toronto manager Ryan Nelsen said Defoe will remain with the MLS club unless summoned by England. "I was a bit surprised and disappointed for Jermain because he arguably deserves it," Nelsen said from Vancouver, where Toronto plays the Whitecaps in the second leg of their Amway Canadian Championship semifinal Wednesday. "Its a shame for him. But hes on the standby (squad) and you never know." Torontos practice was closed Monday. "Of course hes disappointed. Anybody would be," said Nelsen. "But theres nothing you can really say when a situation like that happens. Thats the managers decision. So hes just got to keep scoring goals, keep fit and maybe he gets that call-up." Toronto will be losing Brazil goalie Julio Cesar and U.S. midfielder Michael Bradley to the soccer showcase. Bradley will play for Toronto on Wednesday and then join the American camp. Cesar is expected to leave Toronto after the weekend game against the New York Red Bulls. Age and geography probably played against Defoe in his bid to go to Brazil. The first-team England strike force has combined for 51 international goals and 124 caps in Rooney (38 goals, 89 caps), Sturridge (3, 10), Welbeck (8, 21) and Lambert (2, 4). Manager Roy Hodgson also has attacking options in midfield in Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Lallana, Ross Barkley and Raheem Stirling, among others. "Certainly once you move into that front six position, I think we have a lot of options. I think theres a lot of possibilities," Hodgson told a news conference Monday in London. "A lot of players can play in different positions. And Id like to think thats that a very exciting group we have for those front six positions." Defoe, a veteran of the 2010 World Cup who has 19 goals and 55 caps with England, had figured in all but two of Hodgsons matchday squads before this. But Defoe, who has three goals in four MLS games, may not have been helped by playing overseas. According to Opta Sports, only four of the 114 players chosen for Englands last five World Cup squads played for non-English teams (Calgary-born Owen Hargreaves twice, David Beckham and Fraser Forster). Hargreaves played for Germans Bayern Munich, Beckham for the Los Angeles Galaxy of MLS and Fraser for Glasgow Celtic. "Jermain Defoes international career could be over," the Daily Telegraph said after the squad announcement. Veteran fullback Ashley Cole, a 33-year-old fullback with 107 caps, announced his international retirement Sunday. Hodgson had opted for veteran Leighton Baines and 18-year-old Luke Shaw over Cole. Monday was the deadline for teams to provide FIFA with their 30-man provisional squads. The final 23-man squads must be declared by June 2. Injuries could still change the face of the England squad with Defoe and West Hams Andy Carroll selected as cover for up front. The England squad heads to Portugal next week to begin World Cup preparations, before playing Peru at Wembley on May 30. Nelsen, who captained New Zealand at the 2010 World Cup, has been torn about Defoe and the World Cup. While backing his players skills on the international stage, he also wants his top striker wearing a Toronto jersey as often as possible. "If I was the England manager, I probably would pick him," Nelsen said last week. "Because you know what youre going to get with him -- you absolutely know what youre going to get with him." Defoe offers experience and a scoring touch off the bench. He has scored everywhere he has played. Hodgson opted for youth in most cases although he went with the 32-year-old Lambert up front. Rooney is 28, Sturridge 24 and Welbeck 23. Lambert, a late bloomer on the international scene, has two goals and four caps. The average age of the Englands squad is 26 years 117 days, more than two years younger than 2010 but older than 2006 (25 years 258 days), according to Opta. Barkley, Sterling, Luke Shaw and Jordan Henderson have a combined 14 caps. Eleven of the 23 players have 10 caps or less while only six have been to a World Cup. "Bags of attacking talent, much unproven but exciting nevertheless, blatantly short defensively through the centre," tweeted former England striker and current TV pundit Gary Lineker. The greybeads on the squad are Frank Lampard (35), captain Steven Gerrard (33) Phil Jagielka (31), Lambert (32) and Ben Foster (31). Youngsters include Sterling (19), Oxlade-Chamberlain (20), Henderson (23), Phil Jones (22), and Jack Wilshere (22). After the Portugal camp, England flies to Miami for warmup games against Honduras and Ecuador before opening the World Cup on June 14 against Italy. England is in a group with Costa Rica, Italy and Uruguay at the summer tournament in Brazil. The England standby list also includes uncapped defenders John Stones (19) of Everton and Jon Flanagan of Liverpool, less than a year after featuring for England in the U20s World Cup in Turkey last summer. Flanagan is the nephew of Toronto FC defender Bradley Orr. The other standby players are Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy and midfielders Michael Carrick and Tom Cleverley of Manchester United. Zaino Fjallraven Kanken Big Rosa-Aria Blu 20L . Radulov scored the lone goal in the shootout, and the Predators edged the Minnesota Wild 2-1 on Tuesday night to reach 100 points for the second time in three seasons and fourth in seven. Zaino Kanken Mini Usato . Bilbaos first victory in four rounds lifted it four points clear of Real Sociedad and kept it in command of Spains last Champions League berth for next season. In contrast, Betis was left 11 points from safety after a dismal performance that at times bordered on self-destruction amid some questionable refereeing decisions. http://www.fjallravenkankenitalia.it/zaino-kanken-classic.html . Bell Medias 12-year partnership with the Ottawa Senators includes five major components: - English-language regional television broadcast rights for TSN – a minimum of 52 regular season and pre-season games - French-language regional television broadcast rights for RDS – a minimum of 40 regular season and pre-season games - English-language broadcast rights for TSN Radio 1200 – all games - French-language radio broadcast rights – all games - Telecommunications and retail sponsorship and activation rights "We recognized early on that our regional broadcast rights coming up for renewal was a very important asset," said Senators owner Eugene Melnyk. Zaino Fjallraven Kanken Nero .com) - Eric Fehrs goal 42 seconds into overtime lifted the Washington Capitals to a 5-4 come-from-behind victory over Columbus, halting the Blue Jackets seven-game win streak. Zaino Fjallraven Kanken Classic Rosa 16L . Pikul Khueanpet scored early in the second half and Kanjana Sungngoen made it 2-0 in the 65th minute of the playoff. Tuyet Dong narrowed the margin with goal four minutes from time. The win gave Thailand fifth place at the Asian Cup and the last of the continents qualifying spots for the 2015 Womens World Cup in Canada. BUFFALO, N.Y. -- First, Patrick Kane gave his family and friends something to cheer about by scoring a highlight-reel goal in a rare trip home to Buffalo on Sunday night. Then, Kane stuck around an hour after the Chicago Blackhawks 2-1 victory over the Sabres, by posing for pictures and signing autographs in the stands. As homecomings go, Kanes was nearly complete except that his beloved grandfather Donald Kane was not around to see it after passing away last month. "No matter what, youre going to miss him," Kane said, following only his fourth NHL game at Buffalo. "But life goes on, and I think more importantly, I have a lot of family here at the game that came and supported me." Coach Joel Quenneville saw a jump during a performance in which Kane snapped a five-game goal drought that began after his grandfathers death. "I thought Kane was special," Quenneville said. "He was a threat and had the puck on his stick tonight: very dangerous and nice to see him play well here at home." Kane opened the scoring 3:12 in, by capping a breath-taking rush. Bursting past defenceman Christian Ehrhoff, Kane snapped a shot through the legs of defenceman Chad Ruhwedel that beat goalie Jhonas Enroth over the left shoulder. Kane nearly made it 2-1 with 8 minutes left in the second period, when he got in alone behind the Sabres defence only to have his backhander stopped by Enroth. He also scored into an empty net, but a second after the final horn sounded. Captain Jonathan Toews secured the win by scoring the go-ahead goal 1:34 into the third period. Corey Crawford stopped 20 shots, and the Blackhawks (38-13-14) snapped a two-game road skid. Drew Stafford scored for the league-worst Sabres (19-37-8), who had a three-game home winning streak snapped. Stafford capped a nifty three-way passing play to tie the game midway through the first period. Tyler Ennis started it by finding trailing forward Cory Conacher driving up the left wing. Conacher drew Crawford from out of the net and slipped a pass into the crease where Stafford jammed it in after his first chance was blocked by Brent Seabrook. The assist for Ennis made up for a goal he had disallowed a few minutes earlier, when he was called for hooking Crawford..dddddddddddd "I didnt think it was a penalty, and frustrated that I had the goal taken away," Ennis said. "But I dont think that was the turning point." The difference was the Sabres ongoing difficulties on offence, which has managed a league-low 122 goals. Buffalos power play went 0-for-5 on Sunday, and is 0-for-10 over its past four games. "What do we take out of that one?" Ennis said. "One: Jhonys playing great. Two: Weve got to stay out of the box. And, three: Our power plays got to be better." Enroth stopped 29 shots and had little chance on either of the two goals he gave up. With the game tied at 1 and the Sabres mounting a threat in Chicagos end to open the third period, Toews answered by capping a 3-on-2 rush the other way. Andrew Shaw crossed Buffalos blue line and found Brandon Saad breaking up the right wing. Saad drew Enroth his way before steering a pass through the crease to Toews, who then snapped it in the open side. It was Toews 25th goal of the season and sixth in four games. Toews has shown little sign of a post-Olympic hangover after he helped Canada win a gold medal at Sochi. "I think hes returned from the Olympics in great shape, very confident," Quenneville said. "He just seems to have the knack, has good pace with it, has the puck a lot as well. And when hes around the net, hes getting rewarded." The Blackhawks extended their win streak to five games against the Sabres. And with 90 points, they jumped into third place in the Western Conference standings, a point ahead of idle San Jose. NOTES: Kane was the last Chicago player off the ice following pregame warmups and got a big cheer after flipping a puck into a large crowd of Blackhawks jersey-wearing fans behind the teams bench. ... Sabres C Conacher made his debut with Buffalo since being claimed Wednesday, a day after being waived by Ottawa. Conacher played college at Buffalos Canisius and is from nearby Burlington, Ontario. ... The Sabres suspended D Rostislav Klesla for failing to report to the teams AHL affiliate in Rochester. Acquired in a trade with Washington on Wednesday, Klesla told Canadian broadcaster TSN that he intended to not finish the NHL season, and instead planned to continue his career in Europe. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: RabbitEdu
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 12969 Themen und 14828 Beiträge.
Besucherrekord: 254 Benutzer (18.11.2019 16:14).