www.theseahawksfanshop.com

in Residenz des Hokage 19.11.2019 07:33
von liny195 • Niemand | 27 Beiträge

WATFORD Sebastian Janikowski Color Rush Jersey , England (AP) — The Seattle Seahawks‘ Michael Dickson knows his unconventional punting style is likely to catch the eye of a few kicking enthusiasts in England.Punts don’t score points, though, so he believes the fans might be a bit more dazzled by placekicker Sebastian Janikowski.“The drop kick is cool,” Dickson said. “You do that in rugby a lot. I don’t know if we’ll be doing it too much … so (Janikowski) hitting a few field goals will probably get the crowd pretty happy, I’d say.”Dickson found himself in the spotlight on Sept. 17 when he tried a drop kick during a kickoff, and later an onside kick, in the Seahawks’ 24-17 loss to the Chicago Bears.On Sunday, the rookie from Sydney by way of Texas will take his technique to London as the Seahawks face the Oakland Raiders in the first of three NFL games to be played at Wembley Stadium this season.The drop kick may be much more common in rugby, but Dickson, who didn’t touch a football until 2014, never played the sport. Instead, he grew up playing Australian Rules Football, and as a defender, it was partly his responsibility to kick the ball away.“I had a big kick when I was playing Aussie rules football, so I decided that I wanted to give (the NFL) a go one day,” Dickson said. “I didn’t really know about the college football process or anything and hadn’t really watched much American football. I just knew I liked it when I tried out and met an Australian punting coach, and it kind of just took off from there.”Seattle liked Dickson enough to trade up with the Denver Broncos to draft him in the fifth round. He unseated Jon Ryan, the Seahawks’ punter for the last 10 seasons, and in Week 1 became the first NFL player to average more than 59.9 yards on six punts — including a 69-yarder in the third quarter of a 27-24 loss at Denver.“Field position is enormously important to our style of play, and Michael kicking the ball deep, pinning them back, is important, but (so is) changing the field with some kicks that he’s capable of doing — not to mention the other things,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. “The placement of the ball and the things like that … (are) a lot of really cool things that you don’t normally get from a punter, so we’re just trying to go with it and really understand how to better utilize him.”A few of those cool things were unveiled against Chicago, with Seattle turning to Dickson rather than Janikowski to try to pin the Bears deep after they were penalized on a third-quarter extra point attempt.Dickson Dontae Johnson Color Rush Jersey , from the 50, kicked the ball after a bounce to the Bears 1-yard line, where it was returned to the 15 by Anthony Miller. It was the first drop kick since 2015, when the New England Patriots‘ Nate Ebner, an Olympic rugby sevens player, tried it on a kickoff against the Philadelphia Eagles.If that wasn’t enough, Dickson was called upon to try to drop kick an onside kick with 14 seconds remaining, but the Bears recovered it.“It’s always a concern and it’s a little unpredictable where it can go, but in a way, you like that,” special teams coach Brian Schneider said. “The good thing is you can disguise it where you want it to go much easier than if it was a kicker.”Dickson, who entered the week fourth in the league with 1,348 gross punting yards, downplayed the drop kicks, saying there are a number of factors that go into how and where he punts the ball.Fittingly, the last thing he wants is to become predictable.“Depending on what teams show what fronts they have and what personnel they have out there, you know, different kicks work for different teams,” Dickson said. “There is some room, but it’s not going to be an every week thing.”NOTES: Carroll said the Seahawks decided upon a Thursday arrival in England after studying other teams’ previous routines. “We took full advantage of the Mercator route and in doing so, it was like a nine hours or something flight,” he said. “It worked out. It was great.” … Safety Kam Chancellor traveled with the team in a support role. Chancellor remains on the physically unable to perform list after injuring his neck last season and is unlikely to be cleared to resume his career. … LB K.J. Wright (knee) did not practice Thursday, but Carroll said TE Nick Vannett, who sat out Wednesday, is “fine.” What happened to Nazair Jones? After an impressive rookie 2017 season in a far more crowded defensive line rotation, the third-round-pick all-but-vanished in 2018. His second NFL campaign was..." The OffseasonWhy Nazair Jones moved to 5-technique and how could he do at a new positionNew D.J. Fluker Color Rush Jersey ,8commentsPDTWhat happened to Nazair Jones? After an impressive rookie 2017 season in a far more crowded defensive line rotation, the third-round-pick all-but-vanished in 2018. His second NFL campaign was bizarre. A move to the 5-technique, defensive end role will help.2017 started with a terrific week 1 debut, where Jones recorded a pick six of Aaron Rodgers (nullified to an interception after Cliff Avril was adjudged to have blocked in the back on the return) Though his maiden year of professional football was cut short with a high ankle sprain sustained in Week 12, Jones’ ability as a plug-and-play 3-technique suggested great value for 2018. 2 sacks and 4 quarterback hits in a rotation role was reason for excitement.Finding out what transpired in Jones’ second year isn’t easy. The 11 games of action he got in 2017 reduced to 9. His snap count plummeted from 2017’s 284 snaps to a measly 132 in 2018. Rush production worsened The Seattle Times’ Bob Condotta interviewed Jones in a delirious, post-Carolina lockeroom. Jones’ comments suggested he didn’t know the reason for his lack of playing time. “I honestly don’t know,’’ Jones reflected. “I’m just, whenever they tell me to suit up and go, I’m going. So I’m just trying to be more consistent in my ability so that (playing) can be more consistent for the rest of the season.’That Week 12 W over the Panthers was a reminder that Jones still existed; he wasn’t just a name on the healthy inactive list. The answer to a decrease in 2018 playing time, despite supposedly being healthy, is clearly multi-faceted. Part of it may lie in 2017 comments from Jones. “I have to get better at pass-rushing,” Jones told reporters in the 2017 offseason.There is stuff behind the scenes that may have transpired that we are not privy to. But it’s reasonable to envision Jones focusing too much on pass-rush and his ability as a run defender suffering. His growth as a run defender may have been stunted in 2017 too, given that he was mainly part of the rush rotation. The 2017 preseason also had Jones speak of the challenges of being a tall interior defensive lineman. “It’s really a downside, man, when you get these guards and it’s time to play the run, you’ve got to keep your pads low,” he acknowledged. “So being 6ft 5 with long legs, it’s hard to do. I have to be extra mindful of that.”The Carolina game, the mini re-emergence of Jones, was a microcosm of his current skillset. He played 4i (inside shoulder of the tackle) in Seattle’s bear (stick) front. Jones’ natural instinct is to penetrate as a defensive tackle. That’s absolutely fine as an aggressive 3-technique, but in the “nickel is base” NFL world, the Seahawks have asked their defensive tackles to line up in “heavy” alignments. (Seattle calls this Tank, Tuff etc.)Essentially, the 3-technique aligns slightly more head up on the guard—rather than on the outside shoulder. Excellent gap-control is the emphasis, in order to give Bobby Wagner and other linebackers the chance to be kept clean and flow to the run. The 4i, Bear role also requires this.This disagrees with Jones’ playing style. “He’s still been a young guy coming on in terms of his consistency that we are working with Barkevious Mingo Color Rush Jersey ,’’ Carroll revealed. Indeed, all of the plays Jones made against the Panthers were through penetrating into the backfield. Listen to him describe, to Condotta again, his highlight play: “On the goal line they run to where their extra offensive tackle is, so it was just knowing that the play would be coming my way,’’ Jones described. “I just decided to shoot it and try to get in the backfield and if I can just get him to stop his feet, I know Bobby (Wagner) is coming downhill and I know all the linemen are coming. So if I can get him to stop his feet, it’s perfect. But I got back there and made the play, so it was perfect.’’The Seahawks clearly aren’t happy with Jones’ play as a run defender. Often looking to penetrate can overrun plays. With Jarran Reed having a breakout 2018, there was less of a need for sub-package interior rush and Jones fell further down the depth chart with the impressive play of Quinton Jefferson—particularly versus the run. Jefferson, original round tendered for 2019, figures to be Jones’ direct competition for playing time this season. The move to 5T suits Jones better as it enables him to penetrate in one direction more. Stunts like “Pirate” and “Fist” slant the defensive ends playside and rely on hand length and quick slipperiness—stuff Jones possesses.Here’s what I wrote on the role earlier this offseason:“We’re excited about that,” Carroll said of the position switch. “We did that in the middle of the year to see him contribute out there.” The 5T role is loaded, with Seattle seemingly going for even more “big end” types and less “LEO” rushers. Ezekiel Ansah, Rasheem Green, L.J. Collier, Branden Jackson and Jefferson can all perform there.The pass rush ability of Jones is what most intrigues Carroll: “He’s active and he’s long and got the good reach and stuff that gives him a chance to make some special plays – gets his hands up real well and all that. It’s a guy we look forward to seeing him get around the ball.”Jones must improve his ability against the run though. Getting into the rotation earlier is important. But the pass-rush packages look cramped. Collier and Reed can kick inside to 3-technique, Shaquem Griffin will be sent off the EDGE this year and Jacob Martin’s speed is going to be unleashed on passing downs. Then there’s Reed—who, betting on himself, will be nearing a constant presence on passing downs.It’s harped in evaluation circles that an NFL player deserves three years in the league before they can be properly judged. Jones is still young at 24-years-old and, in truth, the switch to 5T isn’t monumental given he will still get some rush reps inside. Branden Jackson was beating him out for snaps last year and receiving significant playing time. That cannot happen again. Given Jones had to relearn how to walk as a teenager, he’s overcome far tougher challenges.

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: RabbitEdu
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 12969 Themen und 14828 Beiträge.
Besucherrekord: 254 Benutzer (18.11.2019 16:14).